Also, as you may already know (but just in case you don't), Canada is also a nature lover's heaven with wonderful lakes, great forests for hiking and camping,
massive mountains in the west, glaciers and icebergs in the far east, and even polar
bears in the cold barren Tundra not so far from our newest official
territory Nunavut (which I have yet to visit - but it's on my near term list!!).
Should you visit this GORGEOUS country... please do not hesitate to call
me... I may be able to provide you with somewhere to stay (that is, if
I'm not travelling elsewhere myself!) and a free tour of Toronto...!! What a
TOP TEN THINGS TO DO/SEE IN CANADA
- Ski or snow board in our western mountains, the Rockies at Whistler, B.C.
- Go dog-sledding in Banff / Lake Louise - what a blast!
- If you like country towns, go see a play at Stratford, Ontario, less than two hours from Toronto
- Go camping -- Canada's got tons of camping sites to spare!
- See Canada's only rainforest near Tofino, on Vancouver Island, B.C.
- Discover Alberta's eerie lunar landscapes and dinosaur bones from the Badlands.
- Drive through Quebec -- you'll see lots of really colourful houses and
meet friendly and Quebecois-french speaking (very different from European French) folk.
- Visit Montreal to see the cobblestone, Euro historic streets of old
Montreal. Montreal has the best reputation for great entertainment, stylish shopping, extravagant food, as well as
wild nightlife and people... though Toronto and Vancouver are not too bad in
this camp too!
- Great Festivals : Montreal's Just for Laughs Festival (July/August),
Montreal and Toronto's Jazz Festivals (July/August), Quebec City's Winter
Carnival (February), Winnipeg's Winter Voyageurs Festival (Feruary), Calgary's
- Visit the Museum of Civilisation in Ottawa to see interesting totem poles,
life-like pioneer villages, and other national interests.
- Go see roaming buffalos in Winnipeg! And polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba!
- Get lost in a corn maze anywhere between Alberta and Ontario, possibly Quebec (September)
BEST MEMORIES FROM CANADA
- Canada day in Ottawa is the best place to celebrate this glorious day!
- Discovering an unofficial nude beach - by accident, really!! -
in Toronto. This type of thing rarely happens in Toronto.
- Listening to wolves howl while camping at Algonquin Lake National Park. Memorable!!
- Getting lost in a 10 acre corn maze in Winnipeg.
FAVOURITE FOODS / DRINKS IN CANADA
- Bloody Ceasars (like the bloody mary, but made with Clam and Tomato juice,
Worchestshire Sauce, Tabasco, and Vodka)
- Beavertail (not a real beavertail, but a donut-like pastry covered with
one of many toppings)
- Tourtiere (Quebec Meat Pie)
- Maple Syrup and Maple Butter
- French Canadian Breakfast: Pancakes, Potato Wedges, Sausages or Bacon, and
Beans (all smothered in Maple Syrup - this is Quebecer-style!)
- Sheppard's Pie (in French interestingly enough, we call it "Pate Chinois",
Chinese pate... go figure!)
- Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich and Baked Bagels -- the best in the
- North American Indian Bannock (lard and flour mix and then fried in
butter!)... great with jam!
- Go to a North American Feast Restaurant in Vancouver... for some wild game
food (caribou), etc. and a very unique atmosphere. (see restaurant guide)
- Smoked Salmon is supposed to be very nice here (though I'm not a fan of it anywhere myself).
Click here for pictures and stories from trips that I've taken in Canada:
Or, how about a tour of Canada's seasons?
WHAT ELSE WOULD I DO IN CANADA?
- Visit Nunavut and/or Yukon... To See Icebergs, Glaciers and Aurora Borealis!
- Check out Newfoundland, or as Canadians call it, newfieland !
- Go camping again in the vast Algonquin park and listen to the wolves howl yet again (it's been a while)!
- Visit Newfoundland, P.E.I. and other Eastern Provinces.